Sometimes, you need to remove McAfee that you have deployed via mcafee.com/activate from your device because of various reasons. One reason could be that you wish to install the latest version of the software. Another reason for doing so could be that it is hampering your other activities and you are unable to download certain programs because of it. In this situation, you can try to go through the below-mentioned solutions which will help you to remove McAfee from the device on which you have installed it.
Method 1-Uninstall from the Windows Control Panel
- Open your device on which you are using McAfee and go to its search bar.
- Now, type “Control Panel” and select the Control Panel tab from the list of results.
- After this, select the “Programs” option and then click on “Programs and Features”.
- Upon locating “McAfee”, right-click on it and select the option that reads as “Mcafee.com/activate”.
To complete the removal process, you have to follow some on-screen prompts and you will be done removing the software from your device. If this method doesn’t work, you can go for the next method.
Method 2- Use McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)
You must save all the open files and close all the programs before you start running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool. Also, note that you should download its fresh copy for each use. Before you start:
- To begin running the tool, you have to download it from the official website of com/activate.
- When it opens, click on the “Next” option and then click “Agree” when the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog box appears.
- When the security validation screen appears, you have to type characters exactly as shown in the figure. (Note: the characters are case-sensitive and you have to enter it exactly as shown)
- After typing the characters, click on the “Next” option. This action will prevent the accidental use of the tool.
- When the MCPR tool completes the removal process, you may see one of the following messages:
- Removal Complete
- Cleanup Unsuccessful
- Now, you have to take the action according to the message you see.
- If you see the “Removal Complete” message, then you have to restart the computer to complete the process.
- If the “Cleanup unsuccessful” appears, you can try to download the MCPR tool again and restart your PC.
To sum up –
This is how you can remove your McAfee software from your device. But removing antivirus software might lead you to an unbearable situation. Hence, it is recommended to install the software again after removing it.